Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Vegan MoFo Day 10

Vegan Menudo...Si Se Puede

Did I mention my sauce from my enchiladas recipe makes the best broth for Vegan Menudo.  All you have to do is add enough water to make it soupy and a couple more pinches of salt.  If you've never had menudo then really i consider you lucky.  Just the thought of what it actually is makes me squeamish but I loved the flavor of the broth (just spicy enough) and the crunch of the fresh onion and oregano.  To mimic the look of the "meat" I use oyster mushrooms.   This is the perfect meal for a nice autumn evening.  And having the sauce ready ahead of time will have you eating dinner in 15 minutes.

Vegan Menudo

Sauce from Vegan Enchiladas
Water, enough to dilute sauce to make a soupy broth
Salt, to taste
Oyster mushrooms (a produce bag full), rough chopped
Oil
1 can of hominy, drained and rinsed

Heat just enough oil to coat a large stock pot and sautee mushrooms until just a bit cooked down add  hominy, sauce and water.  Taste before adding salt.  Heat until boiling.  Ready to serve.

Additional condiments

diced white onion
mexican oregano
lemon (optional)
cilantro (optional)


oyster mushrooms

ready to devour

topped with onion, and oregano (cilantro optional)

and one with my cat dish :)


Let me know if you try this recipe, I'd love to hear how it went.  

No comments:

Post a Comment